Today is a special day for my family. For those of you who know me well, you know that Veteran's Day has always been a day that we celebrated. This was mostly due to the fact that my Gandpa Earl was a WWII veteran and he was so proud to have served his country. Every year just prior to Veteran's Day he would go on a bit of a diet so that he was sure to be able to fit into his WWII uniform on Veteran's Day. When I was in school, we never had this day off but instead would celebrate all the veterans by having programs and parades. My grandpa would alway attend, dressed proudly in his uniform. I was also so proud to be his granddaughter. Veteran's Day was his favorite day of the year.
Seven years ago, grandpa was diagnosed with lung cancer. Seven years ago, Grandpa didn't get to wear his uniform, although it would have fit him, no diet necessary. Seven years ago, the body of the strong, healthy man that played with me every day of my life withered and failed him. Seven years ago today, my grandpa passed away. On that Veterans Day in 2003 my grandpa celebrated Veteran's Day in the best way that he could---by going to be with his Lord and Savior. And although he couldn't communicate with us on that day, we KNOW that he held out until November 11th so that date could be on his gravestone forever. That was so Papa Earl.
I miss my grandpa every day, but I know he his with me. I am reminded of him every time I walk outside; something that he influenced or touched is always near.
So yes, Veteran's Day is special to my family, not only because we feel like the men and women that have sacrificed so much for us, deserve to be recognized and celebrated, but also because of Papa Earl. I love you and miss you, Papa.
This is my favorite smile...ever!
11 years ago


1 comments:
I miss him so much too. Thanks for posting this, Sis. And for making me cry a little. :')
Post a Comment