Friday, January 27, 2012

Bedtime Prayers

My parents got Noah this really sweet book of bedtime prayers and we have been reading them with Noah every night.  Well, after the standard dinosaur book, that is.  The book is great because it is based on scripture and is all about the Shepherd and His sheep. 


It has a little rhyming part on one side of the page and then a little prayer on the other.  Each night, we have been having Noah repeat the prayers after us---so sweet.



Tonight we were talking to Noah about how shepherds take care of sheep and that Jesus is like a shepherd who takes care of us and we are like the sheep.  Kind of a hard concept for a little one but he will get there.  He giggled when I pointed to the shepherd and said, "Look, Noah, that shepherd is like Jesus, and we are that sheep."  "I, no sheep, Mama!  That's silly," Noah said.  So I said that he was right and that we were like sheep.  He asked why were were like sheep.  So we explained that sheep aren't very smart and get into trouble and need saving a lot like when they fall in holes, or down a hill, or get stuck in a bush, and the shepherd saves them.  He  takes care of them and helps them when they get in trouble, just like Jesus helps us and keeps us safe.  I wasn't sure if any of this was sinking in.  And then we prayed.  

Noah: "Dear God, thank you Jesus for saving me when I fall in a hole in the grass. Amen."

I guess we'll keep working on that one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment